Activity 2 Discussion Question

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM by Jennifer Corriero

How can art can influence the way we think about culture and ourselves?

This post was edited on: 2013-10-24 at 12:39 PM by: Jennifer Corriero (Moderator)

9 Replies

Sylvia Chan
Sep 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM

By seeing the work of art by artists, we get to understand about them and their culture. Art is a way to share about our experiences, to talk about ourselves and to talk and speak to each other. Art can provide a space for dialogue with different entry. Art can be used to engage people and make people think deeper in their understanding of themselves and on controversial topics. Images are powerful and can invoke in people reactions. Art create a community in which there is sharing. By providing a space for artists to share, this gives them the opportunity for the community to hear what this generation has to say about topics that concern them.

Jorge Vytautas Daukantas
Nov 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I created a CD rom file and it was published in the Fall, 2009 edition of ISTE.ORG/JCT titled: " A Teacher's Web Tool , Peace Village", internet link : https://www.iste.org/store/product?ID=1678. I applied Pablo Picasso's work titled " Hand with Flowers' as the front page.

The Teacher’s Web Tool: Peace Village (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~gvdaukan/peacevillage) is designed for the purpose of providing educators with an intuitively designed Web-based resource to augment student learning in at least three curriculums. The audience intended for this Web site includes teachers of computing in K-12 educational settings. A variety of interactive material and content is matched with three interactive quizzes,, which act as a tool to re-enforce student learning and the teaching of computing in K-12 grades. I

Sylvia Chan
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Hey Jorge,

I tried getting into the link The t=Teachers Web Tool you suggested for us, and unfortunately it goes to object not found, there is no access to the page. I am interested in knowing more about the project since I am in the arts, and you mentioned the influence of Pablo Picasso in the assignment. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Jorge Vytautas Daukantas
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Dear Sylvia,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading every aspect of your assessment of Art in your world. The part in your post that I was delighted in reading was the sharing of Communal values through artistic expression. It is true that Art can portray what is noble, artistic and redeeming in cultural awareness and cultural change, (exchange).

Sylvia,

I must share with you what occurred for me at the time of my graduation from Harvard University's Instructional Computing Facility , 2008 (CTE) .

The reason you received the " error code 404 " and could no longer view the Online Teacher's Web Tool is because Harvard could no longer host the web site created by a graduate student, myself. They needed to make room for other sites and for other students.

Contact Store Books & Course ware
Top 10 Books
Bundles
NETS Products
New & Coming Soon
All Books
Webinars
Archives
Online Courses
Coaching Academy
Mobile Learning
Publications
Downloads
L&L
JRTE
JDLTE
JCT
Podcasts
My Virtual Products
Order History
Catalog
Terms & Conditions
Peace Village: A Teacher’s Web Tool Product Code: JCT-PDF
Pricing: $0.00

Quantity:
Add to Cart

The Teacher’s Web Tool: Peace Village (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~gvdaukan/peacevillage) was designed for the purpose of providing educators with an intuitively designed Web-based resource to augment student learning in at least three curriculum's. The audience intended for this Web site includes teachers of computing in K-12 educational settings. A variety of interactive material and content is matched with three interactive quizzes,, which act as a tool to re-enforce student learning and the teaching of computing in K-12 grades.

Sylvia,

I am sorry about your close cultural community in Canada not being able to view the site, I am in the process of negotiating for a new Web Host such as Dream Host to host my International Society for Technologists in Education published work.

George,

p.s.
I'll keep you informed !

This post was edited on: 2013-11-19 at 10:09 AM by: Jorge Vytautas Daukantas

agnes voros
Nov 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Hi - I tried the peace village site http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~gvdaukan/peacevillage
with no luck. Any suggestions. Thanks smile

agnes voros
Nov 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

What is fantastic about using art in the classroom or anywhere in fact, is that almost anything goes. There are no language barriers and usually the art represents deep thought or emotion. Art offers insight that is not possible with words alone.

Jennifer Corriero
Nov 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Thank you Agnes! I love how art can really unite people across cultures.

Sylvia Chan
Nov 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Thank you Jorge! I look forward to reading your submissions. Yes, do keep us informed about your International Society for Technologists in Education published work.
gdaukant wrote:

Dear Sylvia,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading every aspect of your assessment of Art in your world. The part in your post that I was delighted in reading was the sharing of Communal values through artistic expression. It is true that Art can portray what is noble, artistic and redeeming in cultural awareness and cultural change, (exchange).

Sylvia,

I must share with you what occurred for me at the time of my graduation from Harvard University's Instructional Computing Facility , 2008 (CTE) .

The reason you received the " error code 404 " and could no longer view the Online Teacher's Web Tool is because Harvard could no longer host the web site created by a graduate student, myself. They needed to make room for other sites and for other students.

Contact Store Books & Course ware
Top 10 Books
Bundles
NETS Products
New & Coming Soon
All Books
Webinars
Archives
Online Courses
Coaching Academy
Mobile Learning
Publications
Downloads
L&L
JRTE
JDLTE
JCT
Podcasts
My Virtual Products
Order History
Catalog
Terms & Conditions
Peace Village: A Teacher’s Web Tool Product Code: JCT-PDF
Pricing: $0.00

Quantity:
Add to Cart

The Teacher’s Web Tool: Peace Village (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~gvdaukan/peacevillage) was designed for the purpose of providing educators with an intuitively designed Web-based resource to augment student learning in at least three curriculum's. The audience intended for this Web site includes teachers of computing in K-12 educational settings. A variety of interactive material and content is matched with three interactive quizzes,, which act as a tool to re-enforce student learning and the teaching of computing in K-12 grades.

Sylvia,

I am sorry about your close cultural community in Canada not being able to view the site, I am in the process of negotiating for a new Web Host such as Dream Host to host my International Society for Technologists in Education published work.

George,

p.s.
I'll keep you informed !

This post was edited on: 2013-11-19 at 10:09 AM by: Jorge Vytautas Daukantas

This post was edited on: 2013-11-26 at 10:52 AM by: sylvia chan

Sylvia Chan
Nov 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Hey Agnes!

I totally agree with you when you mentioned art offers insight that is not possible with words alone. No wonder someone came up with the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words, even more. I just recently finished having an art exhibition just this weekend. I realize how much effect an art piece can have on an individual, and not to mention every one has their idea of "art. As the artist, Duchamp mentioned "Art is everything and can be anything' depending on how one sees it.